- Country/Region of Manufacture:
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
This auction is for a rare travel razor kit in a Bakelite case, made by the Swedish company "Aktiebolaget Svenska Rakklinga" located in Sanviken Sweden. According to what I could find on the internet, this company made various razors from the 20s to the 50s.
The color of the case is a black background with goldish flecks and swirls, and when closed, it measures about 4.5” wide, 4” high, and 1.5” deep. It is cleverly designed to include within this small space everything that a man needs for a shave: a razor, shaving soap, a slot for razor blades, a shaving brush, and a styptic pencil.
- The top left screws off to reveal a cylindrical section containing the original shaving soap, the bottom of which is wrapped in what looks like ancient waxed paper.
- After the top left is unscrewed, the top right flips open. On the underside of the door are the raised words “PATENTS PENDING” and “A.B. SVENSKA RAKKLINGA, SANDVIKEN SWEDEN.” Inside are also the words “A.B. ALPHA, 852” and the number “1” in a circle.
- The top right section contains slots for the safety comb razor head and bakelite handle, which can be screwed together. The razor head is marked underneath with the brand name “SWING” on the left, and the words “PAT PEND” and “MADE IN SWEDEN” on the right. The razor head is missing a tooth which I have pointed out in the pictures.
- There is also a slot for razor blades in the top right hinged section, which is empty.
- From the bottom of the case, a small knob can be unscrewed to reveal a styptic pencil inside.
- This same small knob also releases the shaving brush from the other cylindrical section. The shaving brush consists of two pieces – the brush can be screwed into the inside of the hollow handle for storage. On the end of the brush is the big brand name “SWING” along with the smaller words “VULCANIZED, PAT PENDING” around the diameter.
View more info...